CF-root

hello,
Im attempting to run a laptop [vaio PCG-F304] without a hard disk. The
plan is to have the root fs on a CF disk in a pcmcia adapter.

First i thought i would use the installer to install woody on the CF, I
got the first woody cd and booted from that, there didnt seem to be any
pcmcia modules, so i made a floppy with the pcmcia modules for -bf2.4
once all the relevant modules were loaded [pcmcia_core, i82365, ds &
ide-cs] the device which is usually the cf card [/dev/hde] didnt exist,
so i figured cardmgr et al are needed also.

Next attempt was to use debootstrap to get woody on the CF [using a
different laptop], then use a bootfloppy to actualy start it. I tried to
setup an initrd as described in
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/PCMCIA-HOWTO.gz I compiled the kernel with
pcmcia built in, and copied it to floppy, made initrd with pcinitrd -v
initrd then compressed it with gzip -9, and copied it to also the
floppy. Unfortunately, the kernel and initrd didnt fit on the floppy. I
checked the size of the kernel -was 1.3mb, so re compiled without out as
much as i thought i could get away with, got it down to 900k, but the
initrd.gz is 600k, so still wouldnt fit on the floppy! I think its
possible to have the initrd on a seperate disk from the kernel? how do
you do that?

anyone got an ingenious way of booting a system with root on cf? it can
involve cds or floppies, or a combination of the two!!

thanks,

--
hugh