Re: [WIRELESS][NETGEAR] - MA401

* François Chenais <francois@chenais.net>, 2003-06-19 16:34 -0400:
> Hello,
>
> 	I installed a MA401 card on my computer but I have some questions :
>
>        First, I installed wlan-ng package and it works. But I had some craches; my computer stop and I had to switch it off. Then, the iwconfig command failed when I wanted to set options
>
>     ex : iwconfig wlan0 nick Francois.
>

>       So, I just installed the hostap driver. It works fine but I can't use kismet and airsnot doesn't see any essid.
>

> Questions:
>    - Is hostap the good driver for this card

It works just fine for me!

>    - doesn't kismet works with this driver ?

Haven't tried that yet.

>    - is there any graphical application for managing wireless ?

I would search <http://freshmeat.net>; but actually, you don't need
it. Install the hostap and the wireless-tools package (I compiled it
from unstable), and add to your /etc/network/interfaces something
like

# wireless DHCP
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless_power period 2
wireless_mode managed
wireless_essid MyNetwork
wireless_nick andre
wireless_key xxxxxxxx restricted

where xxxxxxxx would be in hex, and match your access point's key.

-Andre