winmodem and Adsl conflict?

Hi,
I have quite old Mitac with pctel789 modem, which doesn't work yet. I have been playing with it lately and the only result I got is, that neither modem nor ADSL works. I connect to my ADSL ISP very simply with pppoeconf. But after playing with modem, I run pppoeconf, everything goes fine, but only eth0 gets up and ppp0 doesn't exist. I am quite a beginner, so I don't have a clue what did I do wrong. I've messed with kppp and minicom, neither helped me with modem connection ("modem is busy" problem), but apparently I changed something somewhere. Where should I look for an answer? Any pointers will be helpful. I like to learn, I like to read manpages ;-), but this time I am lost.
Thanks
Petr