Re: ACPI on Compaq Presario 1400

On Saturday 10 May 2003 06:49 am, Jeremy Petzold wrote:
> > Jeremy,
> > The link you added is very exciting.  I have a  Gateway solo1200
> > w/celery850MHz cpu.  I am going to try the patch and see if I kill the
> > box!  Would you say that this howto is okay for newbies to follow if they
> > : don't already know how to patch kernel source?
> > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/patching_the_kernel.html
> > It was suggested that I build my nic driver into the kernel instead of
> > my wierd fast-download/slow-upload problem, I will report it back to the
> > list.
> Jaye,
>
> I would bookmark that how-to but don't read it unless you rin into any
> trouble.
>
> basicly, download that full patch (and mabye even the o(1) interactive proc
> scheduler patch and the rmap vm)
>
> then download the vanilla kernel . unpack the kernel in /usr/src and un
> pack the patches into the same dir...you might want to have a paches dir
> for your kernel version to keep the patches in.
>
> anyway. once it is all set up,  in the /usr/src dir type:
>
> patch -p0 <patchname.patch    (include the path name of the patch)
>
> for the O(1) and rmap patches you need to be in the kernel source directory
> and when you are in the kernel source dir to apply patches you need to
> type:
>
> patch -p1 <patchname.patch (also include the path name)
>
> if all goes well you willget a long list of files being modified. in
> reguards to the rmap patch it will ask you if you want to rip out the old
> vm patch (the full patch puts in a diffrent VM)  allow it to do so.
>
> then compile your kernel, you will need to turn on premption, lowlatency
> and ACPI etc. but the scheduler and rmap vm will just work.
>
> have fun
>
> Jeremy

This looks like it could be a lot of fun OR it could seriously hose my
system!  I am not overly concerned about damaging the system since I can
easily re-install if it leads to a worse case scenario :)  I am running
Libranet's 2.8 release which includes 2.4.20 kernel.  I had already compiled
a few kernels on my way to acpi functionality.  Therefore, I have a
symlinked linux directory pointing to kernel-source.  Would it be wise to run
a 'make clean' before I begin the patch?  Here is what I *think* I
understand--(while also attempting to comprehend 'man patch'):

In /usr/src (as root) run:
patch -p0 linux patch/ck6_2.4.20.patch

in /usr/src/linux (as root):

patch -p1 * /usr/src/patch/020_int_030417_ck_2.4.20.patch

& then:

patch -p1 * /usr/src/patch/rmap15f_030416_ck_2.4.20.patch

I am a little unclear about the kernel-source name on these, does a wildcard
'*' work or do I need something else?  If this looks like it should work then
I'll begin.  I repeat, I am a complete Gnuewbie when it comes to patching,
this is all new-2-me :)

Thanks again

- --

Jaye Inabnit<ARS ke6sls>A Debian-Gnu/Linux user
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!