samba and a bit of sound

Hello,

I'm rather a newbie to Linux (and to this list) and I've been trying already some different distro's. In my opinion, Debian as (by far) the best one (I've tried RedHet, Slackware, which I didn't like and SuSe, which I think is also OK), but there are a few things I can't get right. I have both a desktop and a laptop... and after a few months, I would like to get everything working. I want to get to a network with a Windows NT server. I know I have to use samba, but again, some trouble. I didn't manage to mount the filesystem, so I looked for some tools and found one: xsmbrowser. With this thing, I'm able to connect so the server and read all the files etc, but I can't mount the filesystem, even not as root. I really have to be able to mount the filesystem, because I can't print if it's not mounted (I guess). So, it is surely possible to connect to the server and read the stuff, but I really want to know how I have to mount the whole filesystem. I have a password for my own directory (although if I use xsmbrowser, I can read everyones documents with that passwd, but that has something to do with some 'server things', I guess) and I have the password of the administrators (although I'm not really an administrator...).

By the way, I also didn't manage to get sound to work. I get the message 'can't locate module snd' (using 'alsa'). I have compiled kernel 2.4.16 with some sound modules, but I can't 'insmod' all modules (or using 'modconf') I would like to. I try some of them, because I actually don't know exactly which ones I need on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 2650, integrated intell audio controller AC97 or something like that).

Any help?

Tnx,
Kurt Sys.