APM signals cause lockup

I just got done installing Sid on my Inspiron 8000 using one of the 100
or so documents I found using a google search. However, after reading
through all of them, I can't find any hints to this problem. I compiled
kernel 2.4.17 from source, making sure to include the power management
options, and installed apmd. However, any time an APM signal is sent,
the computer locks, requiring a hard restart. This is REALLY annoying as
when I put it on AC power after starting up on battery (or vice versa)
it locks, so I'm limited to having to reboot much too often. I know my
way around Debian rather well, but as this is my first time installing
it on a laptop I'm sure that there are probably things that I'm not
aware of that I should be doing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Alex