Re: Compaq Armada 110 with 2.2r5 ?

Quoting Kimmo saarela <ernest@surffi.net> (Tue, 19 Feb 2002, 19:28:30):
> On Tuesday 19 February 2002 17:06, Wilmer van der Gaast wrote:
> > Juergen Descher@lists.debian-laptop@Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:49:29 +0100:
> > >  - Do you expect problems with this laptop and debian?
> > >    Or - has anybody of you (good) experience with this laptop?
> >
> > There are some sites about success stories with Linux laptops,
> > maybe you should take a look at some of them. Just make sure you
> > know someone (running Windows) who will buy the thing from you
> > if it really doesn't work.

Hope this will not happen!

> > >  - Is it better to take woody than 2.2r5 for this laptop?
> >
> > I think that's a good idea to take Woody.. The only Potato
> > machine I still have here is my server, all the others run Woody
> > already.

Fine.

> > Most important thing you should do is check out what VGA chip
> > the laptop uses and see if XFree86 supports it.
>
> I got one of those, vga driver it trident cyberblade and 4.1
> version from X supports it. I'm running mine with sid, the ACPI's
> DSTN-table of this laptop is non-standard. But visit at
> www.linux-laptop.net and look over there.

I visited http://fake.by-infonet.de/laptop/ already. Found it on
www.linux-laptop.net. This site describes some points of
installation from linux on armada. Jaxi, the maintainer, says that:

 "Installation of X is simple. The Trident Cyberblade chip works
 great when using the "trident"-driver. Simply set a resolution of
 1024x768 and start :)"

He uses 4.1.0 - because of that I asked for woody.

> The DSTN - table can be fixed. ( but I'm not sure that it will run
> on M$ windows after this )

I'm sorry, but really don't know anything about sid, ACPI, DSTN :(
Hope fixing is not nessasary ;-)

Thanks for all
Juergen