Re: Laptop suggestions

On (08/06/01 06:31), Serge Rey wrote:
> i think there are two different models of the X20 that come witn an
> integrated NIC/modem combo. one (Mikael's) comes with the xircom modem,
> which i believe one could get to work, but the other model (mine  a
> 226-36U) comes with a winmodem which i couldn't get working, although
> the network side of the combo works fine.

I have another variant of the X20 a 2662-31G. This comes with the
mini-pci Lucent winmodem but no NIC. There is a binary driver
available from IBM (works great & easy to install) at the following link:
http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4VFTT3.html?Search.x=6&Search.y=5
(or just search IBM support for 'Linux X20') I have read several
accounts of people have success with the GPL Lucent drivers but I
haven't got round to trying these myself.
http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/

I bought mine second hand a few months ago & I must say I am very happy with
it. All the features work flawlessly under woody, and I take it everywhere
with me.

--

Simon Hooper
GnuPG 1024D/F3D1353A 64AF 1419 4B67 CE13 E312  7C80 CFB0 9414 F3D1 353A