800x600 8bpp uses accelleration, 800x600 16bpp won't, why?

Hi Folks,

I have an IBM Thinkpad 560.  I got it to work at 800x600 16bpp
using an external monitor, but it is MUCH slower than usual.  The
X Server reports that it does not have enough video RAM to use
acceleration.  The acceleration works just fine at 8bpp.
I have 1 MEG video RAM, and a Trident Cyber 9382.

Does it actually need more than 1 MEG of video RAM to use the
acceleration?  Or is somethis else wrong?

Any advise/clues welcome,

John