Re: thinkpad 760el and X4

From: Pat Mahoney <patmahoney@gmx.net>
Subject: thinkpad 760el and X4
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 00:46:37 -0600

> Can't seem to get X4 working with my Thinkpad 760el.  SuperProbe
> reports a Cyber9358 chipset, X and lspci seem to think it's a tgui9660.
> Either way, it's a trident with 1meg ram.

i don't know why, but i would trust lspci more than SuperProbe.

> X starts and runs fine, it's just that I can't see it (blank, black
> screen).  I know it runs because I can touch files from an rxvt.
>
> I grabbed my old Modeline from X3 for 800x600 and stuck it in
> XF86Config-4, still nothing.
>
> What does it mean if X runs but I can't see it?

i have a completely different chipset from you (and different model of
machine), but i also had xfree86 4 difficulties that might be similar
-- though i can only say the symptom seems similar.

in my case, removing the append line w/ apm=on from my lilo.conf and
reinstalling lilo seemed to fix things (strangely, lilo complains when
i run it under 2.4.0-test10, so i reboot using a 2.2.x kernel to run
it there, where it works fine...).  i got this apm tip from the
xfree86 site under "known problems" for my type of card.  perhaps you
might look in a similar location for hints.

although x runs for me currently, sometimes the screen stays blank
when changing back from a virtual terminal.  i haven't figured out a
way to get things back so i end up killing the x server after blindly
switching through multiple desktops and issuing commands to terminate
running applications ;-)