Re: Sound Conf -- ESS Maestro-2

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 08:07:35PM -0600, Gavin Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a brand-new Debian user but have used other dists for several years.  I
> just installed potato and dist-upgraded to woody.
Welcome aboard.

> I'm trying to get sound to work on my laptop with ESS maestro-2.  I've had it
> configured for me automatically by Redhat 6.2 and Redhat 7.0 before.
>
> When I run alsaconf and select ESS-Maestro2 I answer a bunch of questions
> (Max. dac frame size in kB, etc.) which I have no idea what the answers are
> so I select middles in the given ranges.  First, is my problem related to
> these answers & if so any ideas where to find them?
>
> On finishing I get:
> Starting sound driver:  es1968.
> Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
> The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system.
> Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
> not detected correctly.
>
> Do I not have the ALSA sound driver?  lsmod reveals a bunch of sound-related
> modules -- looks okay.
>
> When I try to play a sound I get nothing -- wavp appears to play wav files,
> but no sound comes out (volume is up).  Running amixer I get:
> The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system.
>
> I read a similar question on this list and the response was the alsa was beta
> software and to try OSS.  I can't find deb's for that with dselect.  Wouldn't
> OSS also be kernel sound modules, i.e. under /lib/modules/2.2.17/sound?  Are
> there deb's for these modules (which are different from the alsa modules I
> have under there now) or will I need to compile the kernel myself to go that
> route?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!
>
> Gavin Scott
> support@pokerpages.com

I have an ESS maestro-2 on my laptop, also. I simply needed to
recompile my kernel with support for the right driver. Using kernel
version 2.2.17pre6, just say yes to sound support, and then select
the meastro 2 driver. Once finished with the "make menuconfig"
step, the relevant part of my /usr/src/linux/.config file looks like:

#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371 is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_MAESTRO=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_ESSSOLO1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ICH is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SONICVIBES is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDCLAS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDPIN is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OSS is not set

I'm not an expert with this sound stuff by anyone's measure, so
there may be quite a bit more tweaking to make things work optimally.
This should get you going, though.

-Al