Toshiba T420CDT: serial port has trouble win irmanager is started

dear laptop users,
I have a Toshiba 420CDT and because of My handicap I'm using speical
software for my brialle-display over the serial-port (/dev/ttyS0).
However, upon starting irmanager for the IrDA interface, ttyS0 seems to
crahs/get disconnected/any other reason.
The end result is that my braille-display software looses connection to
the display itself. Killing irmanager and the brialle-software and
restarting the last one doesn't help.
Rebooting or a cycle via init 1 (single-usermode) is needed to get it
running again.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Andor Demarteau
linux@disnet.demon.nl