Problem of installation: first boot [tobshiba 4000cdt]

I bought the Debian GNU/Linux Unleashed book planning to install Debian GNU/Linux on my laptop Toshiba 4000CDT.

I had previously installed Redhat 6.0 before. I partitioned my hard drive using Partition Magic 4.0 in win98.

On first boot with a floppy boot disk, there will be a message "Loading root.bin....... Boot failed".
Tried the same thing on my desktop and the same message appears.

On first boot with the cdrom, the welcome screen will appear as per normal, on pressing [Enter], the message "Loading root.bin....." followed by "Loading linux......" then the screen will blank out and the welcome screen will appear again. This keeps looping.

I suspect that either the cdrom is defective or there is hardware command that I need to append to the boot prompt.

Does anyone knows the solution to this?

Regards,
   manowar