Re: Manually add firmware (or other) packages for installation?

Hi,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote (Sat, 27 Feb 2021 11:21:58 +0100):
> The point is: We separate free and non-free images for a very reason and if
> you add a mechanism that just silently enables non-free on a system that
> was installed with the free installer, you are defeating this separation.

1. *I* do not do or change anything here. It's the case like this for ages!

2. non-free does *NOT* be *silently* activated! The user is prompted for this,
   and he needs to explicitly say YES to this option!
   And this question is only be asked in expert installation mode.

> The firmware issue isn't new and the stance has always been that we separate
> free and non-free installers for a very reason. People that use the free installers
> expect that the system installed contains DFSG-compatible components only.

Firmware issues are not new, that's correct.
But with latest kernels, it seems that missing firmware for graphics cards
more often than in the past leads to a completely dark or garbled screen
(given the amount of user reports, I already mentioned).
I guess this is a result of some "policy changing" in the kernel, how to
act with firmware blobs and what to do, if firmware is missing (?).

> A user wants all firmware to be available after installation, they are advised
> to use the non-free firmware installers.

Again:
even if they decide to use this non-free installer with the graphics-card
firmware included, this installer *does*not* install the firmware for
graphics cards!
(leaving users with a unusable system at first boot.)
Only the "switch-to-second-console-and-install-there-by-hand" solution, you
mentioned already, can do this.

This patch should only be a user-friendly variant of the above second-console
solution.

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076