Re: [RFC] libdata-structure-util-perl: description

[...]
> Normally I'd say s/utf8/UTF-8/, but they're two different things in
> Perl, aren't they? So I'll keep quiet

Yes, indeed.
http://search.cpan.org/~dankogai/Encode-2.39/Encode.pm#UTF-8_vs._utf8_vs._UTF8
Thus, I think utf8 should be used, but from a user point of view looking for
such a module, I am not sure it makes any difference.

> Wait, can it really
> transform "ɧ" to ASCII?

As a matter of fact, no. From what I have read from the manpage, it
only manipulates utf8 flags.

[...]
> How about:

>    Data::Structure::Util is a toolbox for manipulating data inside a
>    data structure. It can process an entire tree and perform the
>    operation requested on each appropriate element.
>    .
>    For example, it can:
>     * transform all strings within a data structure to utf8;
>     * transform any utf8 string back to the default encoding;
>     * remove the blessing on any reference;
>     * collect all the objects;
>     * detect if there is a circular reference.
>    .
>    It is written in C for decent speed.

The Debian Perl group has uploaded on Monday evening the package with this new

 Data::Structure::Util is a Perl module for manipulating data within data
 structures. It can process an entire tree of data structures and perform the
 requested operation on each element as appropriate. It is fast, since it is
 written in C.
 .
 For example, it can be used to transform all strings within a data
 structure to UTF-8.

I do prefer the one from Justin since we have examples (easy to catch without
reading the whole description) of what the package can perform. This gives the
user a better understanding about the general description. However, I do think
utf8 manipulations is not really what the user may expect, but upstream put it
that way, and I will not be able to improve it.

Jawnsy, I put you in the loop to get your comments :)

Regards,

--
Franck Joncourt