Re: Package descriptions for sigit and ipp2p

Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Rasmus Bøg Hansen (moffe@zz9.dk):
>> sigit:

> utility to change mail signatures randomly

Yup...

>>  This small utility changes signatures in random order.

This sounds as if you've got a list of signatures (a petition?)
which sigit modifies one at a time.  What it really does is "shuffle
the list" and pick one arbitrarily.  But does it use every single
one of them (in random order) before repeating itself, or does it
simply use a new random line every time?
If the former:
    This small utility picks signatures in random order from a list.
If the latter:
    This small utility picks signatures randomly from a list.

I don't think I'd have said it, but it's grammatical.  How about:

  It is compatible with all email and news clients that use
  $HOME/.signature, although alternative filenames can be specified.
  It works over NFS and can even handle multiple signature files.

>>  The utility to manipulate signature databases,
>>  sigitdb, is also included.
>
> Tha package also includes a utility aimed at databases handling,
> calles sigitdb.

  The package also includes a utility for handling signature
  databases, called sigitdb.

Should this mention http://www.ipp2p.org?

> netfilter extension compatible with peer-to-peer traffic

It needed to be shortened, but this loses the bit that discriminates
between ipp2p and ipp2p-source.  If P2P gets defined at the top of
the long description I think we can afford:
ipp2p:

(Do I correctly understand that this package contains a plug-in
library, /lib/iptables/libipt_ipp2p.so?)

ipp2p-source:
ipp2p-modules-_KVERS_:

>>  IPP2P is a netfilter module that recognizes peer-to-peer (P2P)
>>  traffic. P2P raffic can be prioritized low or even blocked to
>
> traffic
>
> P2P traffic can be either blocked or assigned with a low priority to ensure....

No "with"; and this order loses some of the emphasis on the idea
that blocking is a last resort.

>>  ensure a shared internet link does not get overloaded with
>>  P2P traffic.

Drop the repeat of "P2P traffic".  So that's:
  P2P traffic can be assigned a low priority or even blocked to ensure
  a shared internet link does not get overloaded.

>>  .
>>  This package contains the iptables extension for IPP2P. You
>>  will need a kernel module compiled from the ipp2p-source
>>  package too.

I'd have said "You will also need a kernel module compiled from the
ipp2p-source package", but this works too.

>> ipp2p-source:
>> This package contains the source for the kernel module. The
>> iptables extension in the ipp2p package is needed for this
>> module. Kernel source or headers are required to compile this
>> module.

A slightly odd order.  Maybe (if I understand correctly):
  This package contains the source for the kernel module. Compiling
  this module also requires full kernel source or headers, and using
  it requires the iptables extension in the package ipp2p.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)