Re: [debian-knoppix] Home directory and MIcrosoft Windows NT

My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that, with
NTFS, once the data for a file is allocated, there's no problem
with rewriting those properly allocated disk blocks.

If that's true, then it should be possible to (from NT/XP) write
a block file to be used as a filesystem, and then (from knoppix)
do a loopback mount of that file as a block device -> filesystem.

Such a filesystem would be difficult to access from within Windows,
but it should be safe to play with inside of knoppix (as long
as you could get the NTFS driver to allow read/rewrite access.)

Would that be a workable interim solution?

That having been said, for XP, you can use captive-ntfs (it's
available from the knoppix menu).  Captive-ntfs uses the XP
NTFS drivers by providing a workable API wrapper to the driver.

It's not perfect (I've seen the captive-NTFS processes grow to
over 500MB), but it does seem to work reasonably well. Knoppix
also has a reasonable version of the newer NTFS driver that seems
to do OK, but is a bit paranoid about writing to the filesystem
if it's not starting in pristine condition.