Re: [debian-knoppix] DOS boot image for syslinux

----- Original Message -----
From: Andreas Kostyrka <andreas@mtg.co.at>
Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2003 3:11 am
Subject: Re: [debian-knoppix] DOS boot image for syslinux

> On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:13:41AM -0700, dan.graham@shaw.ca wrote:
> > I was curious now that M$ is exercising its patent rights on fat
> what we can do about syslinux (isolinux). Each of our CDs contains
> a fat filesystem image for boot with syslinux (boot-en.img) etc.
> and the Redmond Vole is unlikely to freebe us on this one.
> Syslinux (isolinux) only supports fat and we need to find an
> alternative.
>
> How about taking a look at the patents Microsoft has? As you seem
> to be to
> lazy to do that, I'd like to point out that these patents all
> apply to newer
> stuff like packing longnames into shortnames in a "backwards
> compatible" way.
>
> So even if these patents are valid, syslinux on a MSDOS FAT (no
> long names)
> filesystem shouldn't touch these patents anyway :)
> >
> > I am very concerned and beleive we need to proceed asap to
> replace it with another bootloader.
> >
> If you are really concerned, get a clue and take the time to read
> the stuff.
>
> Andreas

With all due respect Andreas,
I was simply responding to news releases that M$ will be licensing manufactures of floppies, etc. that "contain a fat filesystem". Insofar as getting a clue would you be so kind as to suggest where to start? The syslinux/isolinux docs that I read have explicitly stated that fat is all that may be used with it. He goes so far as to state if you do not wish to use fat then use lilo or another boot loader. This is what caused me to have these concerns. As to the wording of the relevent MS patents I must confess ignorance.

Without a clue, Dan