Re: [debian-knoppix] Package cloop-utils in very inconsistent state

On Mon 29 Sep, Eduard Bloch bloviated thus:

> > depmod: /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep is not an ELF file
>
> Find the package that installed this garbabe directory and file a
> critical bug report against it. "/lib/modules/extra" looks like
> something copied from /lib/modules/$version, but definitely does not
> belong there.

I should have mentioned I tried moving that directory out, as I hadn't
seen it before either.  However it seems depmod needs it:
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep for writing

And when you create the (empty) directory, it creates all those files
in it:
ls /lib/modules/extra
modules.dep             modules.isapnpmap   modules.pnpbiosmap
modules.generic_string  modules.parportmap  modules.usbmap
modules.ieee1394map     modules.pcimap

So it seems to be depmod?!?

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon@rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Illegal arrivals by sea have always been a problem
in Australia.  Ask any Aborigine.
- corruption of a Robert Orben quote