Kernel config change to make MSI laptop touchpad work

Hello Debian Kernel Maintainers,

TL;DR: please enable CONFIG_PINCTRL_METEORLAKE=y in kernel config

I recently bought an MSI laptop, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Prestige 16 AI Studio B1VEG/MS-15A2, BIOS E15A2IMS.10A 01/29/2024 which uses Intel Meteor Lake Core Ultra CPU, which is fairly new.

I installed debian stable out of the box and a lot of hardware did not work. A lot of this was resolved by installing upstream firmware but the debian stable kernel is too old sadly. I upgraded to bookworm-backports kernel-image (6.6.13) but was still stuck on 800x600 display, no touchpad. I installed the kernel-image from SID (6.7.9-2) which resolved the graphics issue but the touchpad was still not working.

I installed fedora 39 and the touchpad was working fine, so I compared the kernel config between the 2 distros and after a little trial and error found that:

CONFIG_PINCTRL_METEORLAKE=y

must be set in order for touchpad to work. Please consider enabling this option in the debian kernel config as it may help others.

Thank you