Re: Debian Kernel version and ABI in respect of #1040901

On Sun, Jul 23, 2023 at 09:44:40AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> We uncouple the package names and ABI.  The ABI will include the
> complete version, so every rebuild will change it.

That's also what I meant with "It should only be impossible to make them
co-installable".

> The package names
> can include just the upstream version, aka 6.1.1.

I am not convinced about that part in all cases.

> This means:
> - Every module will be compatible always only with the exact version.
> - External modules needs rebuilds for every update of a image package.
>
> We already say: You need to reboot after kernel upgrade, because the ABI
> only provides compatibility from older modules to newer kernels.  This
> would be now enforced by complete lack of compatibility.

It is under our control when to not rename the packages,
to prevent this issue for production systems.

A binNMU for a perl transition might reach testing users,
but these should not be production systems.

When it takes 3 attempts in *stable-pu to get the kernel to build on all
release architectures, only the last one will ever reach *stable.

A policy question is that it might be a good idea to rename the packages
when publishing a regression update for a DSA, that's the only place I see
where this problem might otherwise reach production systems.

> Regards,
> Bastian

cu
Adrian