Re: CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO for debian linux-image-rpi

Hi,

Let's loop in the Debian kernel team.

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 10:51:19PM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> Hello! I'm not sure who to ask about this issue but you are the last
> person who modified linux-image-rpi debian package for bookworm.
>
> I have done clean install of bookworm for raspberrypi (armel, rev1b) and
> I figured out that kernel does not contain CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO anymore.
>
>   $ uname -a
>   Linux raspberrypi 6.1.0-10-rpi #1 Debian 6.1.37-1 (2023-07-03) armv6l GNU/Linux
>
>   $ grep CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO /boot/config-6.1.0-10-rpi
>   # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO is not set
>   # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO_POLLED is not set
>
> So any gpio based keyboard on raspberry pi does not work. Personally I'm
> using shutdown gpio button and I read more forums that lot of other
> people are using gpio button for shutdown action too. So I think that in
> raspberrypi kernel specific package, this driver can be useful to have.
>
> It there any reason why CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO is disabled in bookworm
> kernel from linux-image-rpi package? And if not, would it be possible to
> enable this driver?

I do not think there is any special reason for that, and just might be
enabled for the rpi specific config, let's see what our arm* porters
say. And if nothing speaks about it we might top-down (in the upper
suites first, then maybe down to bookworm) enable it.

> CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO is tristate symbol, so if there is space problem,
> it can be enabled as loadable module and it would be loaded ondemand
> only when needed.

In case of yes to above question, it should be enabled as loadable
module.

Thanks for raising it.

Regards,
Salvatore