Re: Back-ported 5.16 kernel signing delays

On Tue, 2022-03-15 at 14:03 -0400, Alex Lieflander wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you to everyone involved in back-porting the 5.16.11 kernel to
> "bullseye-backports" so quickly, and to everyone that regularly
> packages new kernel releases.
>
> It seems that "linux-image-amd64/bullseye-backports" still “points”
> to 5.15.15, however. I’m quite naive of this process, but I gather
> that while the kernel version was back-ported, it has yet to be
> “signed”. I don’t know the implications of this, but I’ve always
> installed the kernels by upgrading the "linux-image-amd64” package,
> and I’m hesitant to stray from this process.

The signed packages were finally approved and arrived in bullseye-
backports today.  (But there is still another update, with additional
security fixes, going through the process.)

> Is there anything I can do to speed up this seemingly-last step, or
> anyone I could politely ask to do this?

So far as I can see, the biggest source of delay for backports updates
is usually the wait for approval of new binary packages by the
backports team.  I don't mean to blame them for this - there are only 2
people on the team, and they are volunteers like the rest of us.  The
only likely solution to this is for more people to step up and join
that team.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together.