Provides: wireguard-modules and transition plan

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 01:05:49 -0400 Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed 2020-03-11 03:50:00 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > If some of the packages providing a virtual package are explicitly
> > installed, and some auto-installed, it could reasonably auto-remove the
> > latter group (though I don't think it does).  But if all of them are
> > auto-installed, which will be the case for kernel packages, it can't
> > tell which should be kept and which removed.
>
> hm, right, i can see how that would be a problem.  thanks for the
> explanation.
>
> > But nothing will auto-remove the wireguard package.  So you would have
> > to keep it as a transitional package for one release cycle, even when
> > it depends on just wireguard-tools.
>
> I don't think it would be a problem to have a transitional package for
> one release cycle.  do you?

No, that's not a problem.

> > Yes, this is annoyingly complicated.  That's why I need there to be a
> > plan.
>
> I'm open to any suggestions that you think would work better than what
> we've talked about so far.  Let me know what you prefer.

I would have preferred you to do the work, but OK.  I think this plan
works:

1. We add "Provides: wireguard-modules" to the kernel meta-packages
   (MR 232).
2. You make the wireguard meta-package depend on wireguard-modules |
   wireguard-dkms (or the other way around).
3. Wait for bullseye release.  Now you can assume the kernel has been
   upgraded.
4. You turn the wireguard meta-package into a transitional package
   depending only on wireguard-tools.
5. Wait for bookworm release.  Now we can assume the meta-package has
   been upgraded.
6. We drop "Provides: wireguard-modules".

(We could also replace the Provides with a versioned Breaks after step
4, but that doesn't allow us to get to the end state any earlier.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
73.46% of all statistics are made up.