Re: [Yaird-devel] Debian kernel packaging: changes forthcoming in kernel-package 11.x

On Tue, 01 May 2007, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         [Please follow up on debian-kernel@lists.debian.org]
>
>         With /etc/kernel/*.d directories, we have a means of having the
>  sysadmin installing arbitrary bits of code  in these directories, to
>  do whatever they wish to post process the image so installed.

/usr/share/kernel is a nicer place for the package scripts
with a mirrored dir structure for local admin at /etc/kernel

>         Third, I want to do away with the postinst deciding which initrd
>  generator to run. The current initramfs packages already have commands
>  to create the initrd; and these packages can again dump in scripts to
>  run the initrd generator in /etc/kernel/*.d.  This is the chance that
>  initrd generator people have to fix the interface that they have been
>  complaining about.

thanks.
the current "interface" is more than strange, for us it is enough to have
an $(update-initramfs -u -k <kernelversion>) script on installation/upgrade
and an $(update-initramfs -d -k <kernelversion>) on removal.

will allow to get rid of wrapper script mkinitramfs-kpkg postlenny.

>         Finally, I want to have kernel-package come closer to the
>  version numbering scheme that the official kernel images have been
>  using, complete with native flavour support, but this can be dealt with
>  in a separate thread.
>
>         The critical issues are:
>  a) How to configure which one of competing boot-loader scripts get run,
>     if more than one boot loaders are installed
>  b) Which initramfs generator gets run, if we have more than one
>     installed.

the default one unless other specified.
you don't talk at all in this proposal of /etc/kernel-img.conf
do you want to obsolete it?

>  c) What information would the scripts need, apart from kernel version,
>     and the location of the image?
>  d) How do we transition the changes -- wait for all involved packages
>     to create a changed version, and upload all packages at once in a
>     staged fashion, or just stagger it into Sid?

i'd be happy to upload initramfs-tools with the scripts
anytime soon when the transition starts.

--
maks