Re: Status of Plasma 5.18/5.19?

Hi Pino,

thanks for sharing your concerns. But can you elaborate somewhat more on a few
things?

Am Dienstag, 7. Juli 2020, 16:57:23 CEST schrieb Pino Toscano:
[...]
> It is definitely not nice to see that all the work & efforts in many
> years are happily thrown down the loo by

Why do you think that something is thrown away by Norbert (or anybody else)
providing recent Debian packages for KDE?

> - publicity stunts

What are you referring to? For me Norbert's blog entries read reasonably
neutral (?) or are you referring to other blogs?

> - binary-only repos because "one person [not anymore working in the
>   team] said something bad to me, so it's all team fault"

Are you referring to Norbert's repos?

Picking a random one

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/npreining:/debian-kde:/
plasma519/Debian_Testing/

I find source packages in there. Not sure if apt-get can handle the directory
structure though.

> - blogs filled with untrue facts and on the borderline of insults

Can you list the major facts which you consider untrue?

> How does an "open mind" motivate you to work on this? I'll tell you:
> it does not.
>
> Maybe a better solution would be to just give up with this -- after
> all, users have the super-duper-and-excellent-quality repos, right?

It seems you are insulted by Norbert (or anybody else) providing uptodate KDE
releases and some users who have a need for new releases using them.

For me it seems there are packages from the Debian KDE team which are high
quality, but often somewhat outdated. Then there are Norbert's packages which
are uptodate but likely(?) lower quality. It would be surprising if one person
would be able to just provide better packages in all aspects. Unfortunately,
at least so far, nobody had a solution which resulted in packages which were
both high quality packages and contained very recent KDE releases. If that
solution is found Norbert's packages are obsolete until then for me they seem
to fill a gap.

> Deepily unmotivated,

Can you elaborate why you are demotivated by Norbert providing  packages he
compiled of latest KDE releases? How does it affect your packaging work?

Thanks
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch