Re: kdeconnect doesn't

On 2018-09-27 11:59 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
I keep reading wonderful things about KDEconnect but I've yet to experience them. My android phones can't see my Debian/Buster desktop and vice versa. Both devices are on the same network and I'm not running an internal firewall on my desktop.

I've been trying KDEconnect intermittently for many months, during which time I've had a couple different Android phones, but have yet to have any success. I have no indication of any other network issues on my home network.

Both IP addresses (phone & desktop) are assigned via DHCP, which is probably about as normal as you can get. Manually adding the desktop's current IP address to the phone app doesn't help either.

Any ideas?

I managed to get kdeconnect to work between my laptop and my phone by installing ufw and opening the kdeconnect ports in it. However the same solution doesn't work on my desktop, which is where I really need it. I rarely use my laptop.

My laptop is running Stretch and ufw seems to work fine on it. However the version of ufw on Buster seems to have a problem that looks similar to one reported 5 years ago on Github (https://github.com/sovereign/sovereign/issues/73).

Basically, I installed ufw but the enable operation fails with the message "ERROR: Could not load logging rules". A not very good workaround of turning logging off failed to resolve the problem.

However ufw reports that it is active and I could add the port rules to it. The status shows as:

# ufw status verbose
Logging: off
Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing), disabled (routed)
New profiles: skip

To                         Action      From
1714:1764/udp              ALLOW IN    Anywhere
1714:1764/tcp              ALLOW IN    Anywhere
1714:1764/udp (v6)         ALLOW IN    Anywhere (v6)
1714:1764/tcp (v6)         ALLOW IN    Anywhere (v6)

but my phone still can't see the desktop and vice versa.

The only thing I can think of is my phone and laptop were probably connected via wifi while my desktop is wired. However I can connect my phone to my desktop using sshdroid.

Any ideas?