Re: KDEPIM ready to be more broadly tested

Volker,

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 07:46:55 AM Volker Groll wrote:
> Any help is appreciated

You might not consider this help, but I'll make the suggestion anyway.

Perhaps it is worth considering a different tool to do the indexing and
searching of your emails (and, presumably, other documents on your local
disk)?

There are a number of reasons for this--one is to avoid being pushed into
upgrade cycles based on other things--what I mean is, (iirc) you are now being
forced to upgrade your email client and indexing search tool because you are
either upgrading your Debian version or your version of KDE.

An independent tool, would be on its own cycle, and you could choose (within
limitations) to upgrade or not when you upgraded your Debian or KDE versions.

I like recoll--google for it.  It works with many documents including various
email stores, but I'm not sure whether or how it deals with Imap.  On the
other hand, if you are storing the imap file(s) locally, I would think it
should be able to handle it.

I have corresponded with the recoll developer and he has been helpful when I
needed help.

One caveat--this is only a vague recollection, but I think that at one time
kde was considering adopting (and, of course renaming) recoll for their
indexing and search tool--perhaps it is even the basis for akonadi.

But, even if it is, switching to recoll instead of akonadi would get you out
of the forced upgrades situation.

regards,
Randy Kramer