Re: Problems with disconnected IMAP in kontact 16.04

¡Hola Adriano!

El 2016-07-17 a las 20:25 -0300, Adriano Vilela Barbosa escribió:
On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Maximiliano Curia <maxy@gnuservers.com.ar> wrote:
It takes a while till akonadi updates the state of all the folders, and has a valid cache for each mail, but once everything is downloaded the offline mode works as expected, at least, it works here.

Well, this is what I expected to happen, but after syncing all the folders a couple of times I still don't have all my emails downloaded. In older versions of kmail, when creating a disconnected IMAP resource, kmail would take a couple of hours downloading all the emails from the server when syncing for the first time. After that, additional syncs would take just a short time. However, in my current case, kmail says all folders are synced 100% and yet I can't access my emails after going offline. Is this normal behavior?

I'm not sure about keeping all mails, for me, it keeps the ones in the folders that I use, the messages tagged important and the new ones.

Just browsing the interface I noticed that there are some related options in the folder properties that have no configurable global or per account value:
Retrieval -> Retrieval Options:
  Always retrieve full messages/Retrieve messages on demand
  Keep messages bodies locally for:

And the current behavior seems to be consistent with what I expect for "Retrieve messages on demand", so maybe you'll need to set "Always retrieve full messages" in the folders that you want in offline mode (you'll still need to wait for a synchronization cycle for this to take effect). I haven't checked the code to see if this is really what you need.

But, if this makes a difference for you, maybe you could report a bug upstream [1] about the missing global configuration option. Also the text for the account configuration is misleading, as it's definetly not downloading all the messages, it seems to me that it's only enabling the use of the cached data in offline mode.

[1]: https://bugs.kde.org/

Authoritative data storage -> akonadi <- akonadi backend (cached data, local metadata) (mail server, ldap, etc) | \> akonadi clients (kmail, etc)

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't follow. The blog entry above seems to imply that the actual email messages are stored only on the IMAP server, not in the local machine. Isn't the whole point of disconnected IMAP to have a local copy of all the email messages in the IMAP server?

That's the difference of authoritative data and cached data. The imap server has the authoritative data, your actual email messages, akonadi stores what it needs to keep locally in the akonadi backend. The cache could contain a full copy of all the mails, or just the index information (used in mail search), or the mails that are less than a month old, or nothing at all. This is way more flexible than duplicating all the mails. But it's also way harder to do right. And your currently hitting an use case that's not behaving as expected.

Happy hacking,
--
"Some people worry that artificial intelligence will make us feel inferior,
but then, anybody in his right mind should have an inferiority complex every