Re: Options for kdepim using kde 4.7/unstable?

Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2012 schrieb Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda:
> A Dimarts 13 Març 2012, Sune Vuorela va escriure:
> > On 2012-03-13, Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org> wrote:
> > > kdepim 4.7 is crap, you don't want to use it
> > > if you value your data.
> >
> > I officially disagree.
>
> I don't know if it's a crap or not, but how can I test it with debian?
> What's the problem with kdepim?
>
> I'm sorry if it's a obvious question, but kdepim 4.4 lacks a lot of
> features, specially webdav, caldav, etc and it's a pity to have a
> wonderful kde 4.7.4 with an old kdepim.

I tried to give some quick overview in my other mail. My issue is that I
want to be quite confident that any possible remaining data loss issue has
been fixed. I did not yet test it myself, but I do read kdepim and kdepim-
users mailing lists regularily in the last months to get an impression on
the current state.

Anyway, I suggest that you also subscribe to at least kdepim-users when
you like to try out KDEPIM 2 right now. You may read there about some
issues users who already use it seem to have. I think it does not make
that much sense to replicate that information here. There are issues with
mail search - not that it ever worked really nice with KDEPIM 1 IMHO -,
auto completion, there are some performance issues with Akonadi Nepomuk
feeding that I hope will be mostly resolved with KDEPIM 4.8.2 and some
other usability stuff as far as I remember from my reading right now.

Anyway once I am confident that any known mail loss issues have been fixed
and no new one appeared for a while I really do like to use it and
contribute with bug reports for any issue I still see then. KDE developers
are working really hard to make the Akonadi based KDEPIM rocking and I
really do appreciate it. I think in the short to middle term it will be
better than KDEPIM 1. And in the long term it will leave it behind
completely. As I do think the architecture to use a database like approach
to PIM metadata is a good one.

Its a bit like all the big changes in KDE SC 4.0. There it also took
developers and testers also quite a while to make it production ready. I
do think KDEPIM 2 is getting there now. About two major releases after
introducing it to KDE SC again with KDE SC 4.6. KDE SC 4.2 also was also
way better then KDE SC 4.0 and the first one I installed onto on my Debian
systems. So I do think that I like to test it soon. Two or three major
releases after initial release + some minor release added to the mix, lets
say 4.8.2 or 4.9.1 should be quite good I bet ;).