make-live -p gnome-junior

http://syn.theti.ca/articles/2007/02/22/make-live-p-gnome-junior

Ever since I started working towards a Debian Jr. livecd back in
November, I’ve played off and on with qemu, approx and debian-live.
Yesterday, I took another kick at the can. Being frustrated with
make-live’s inability to combine two package lists, Daniel Baumann came
to my rescue, promptly commiting and then releasing live-package
0.99.23-1 with three new package lists for Debian Jr.

    * gnome-junior
    * kde-junior
    * xfce-junior

So now we have something to play with. Try it out. Install live-package
0.99.23-1 or later, configure /etc/make-live.conf to set LIVE_MIRROR to
your favourite mirror (I use the apt caching proxy “approx” to avoid re-
downloading the same packages from one run to the next) and pick an
image and type to build, e.g.

              $ sudo make-live -t usb -p gnome-junior

This makes a ./debian-live/binary.img that can be put on a 1G usb key
flashdrive.

We have more work to do to polish this. Particularly, since the GNOME
and KDE flavours are larger than a 700M CD, some fat could be trimmed.
If you’ve tried it, I’d love to hear your ideas on
debian-jr@lists.debian.org.

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca