Window managers (was: XFCE for Debian JR)

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 11:21:13PM +0000, John Gay wrote:
> I just mention XFCE because it seems to be another DeskTop that everyone
> has overlooked with the KDE-vs-Gnome flamewars raging away.

I have added a Window Managers section to the "packaged" list which
should show up on the next www.debian.org update.  You can find a preview
of the page at http://people.debian.org/~synrg/packaged.en.html
Please review it and post any comments here.

I have deliberately left KDE & Gnome off the list, and have stated my
rationale for doing so in a comment at the end of the section.  If I felt
we had the resources to process the large amount of material in KDE &
Gnome, I'd add them to the list (or possibly make KDE & Gnome "flavours"
of Debian Jr.?) but I think by doing so we would be fragmenting Debian Jr.
and diverting energy from working on the core components.  Anyone feel
strongly against this approach?  Sure, we could probably make a slicker
Debian Jr. based either on KDE or Gnome, but at this stage, "slick" is not
high up on my list of priorities.  I'm aiming for "usability", which in my
opinion, KDE & Gnome doesn't significantly contribute to (or at least not
to the point where I'd personally be willing to invest the effort to
include them).  Of course, this doesn't mean I'm against listing
individual Gnome or KDE based programs where there are no non-KDE/Gnome
alternatives (see ktuberling, for example) as those can be put on a system
without loading the entire desktop environment onto it to make it work
(just the libraries are required).

Ben