Re: Tomcat 9 removed from Debian 12

Hola Luis,

> I know that the remove tomcat9 packages was done on December of 2023 and that
> this was decided a long time ago. But I think that nobody has stopped to
> consider that you *cannot simply migrate from Tomcat 9 to 10 *(inserte here

I have. I currently maintain the tomcat9 package externally,
and I have users who use it for their customers so it’s used
in production, with sysvinit instead of systemd, even.

The packages are here:
http://www.mirbsd.org/~tg/Debs/dists/bookworm/wtf/Pkgs/tomcat9/

Don’t just install them from there, though, that would not
be secured. Ideally, you’d use the Debian package “extrepo”
to enable the “wtf-lts” repository, then pin it so that only
the packages tomcat9{,-admin,-common,-docs,-examples,-user}
and libtomcat9-{,embed-}java are considered from that repo.

Alternatively, http://www.mirbsd.org/~tg/Debs/debidx.htm
contains links to manual installation instructions, but you
might still want to consider pinning as the repo contains
other packages as well.

Full disclosure, while I’m a Debian Developer and team member,
Emmanuel has veto’d the changes to the tomcat9 package in the
past (mostly on the grounds of using adduser… *sigh*). I also
haven’t tested installing it together with tomcat10, and I
personally don’t test on bookworm (but others do), only on
bullseye and sometimes buster.

> because the javax.* to jakarta.* packages problem

Upstream Tomcat says they can convert that automatically,
but I wouldn’t rely on just that because from experience
I know that upgrading the Tomcat version is always a
breaking change that needs changes to all applications.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • Qvest Digital AG