Re: Java 8 security patching

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023, James Kennard wrote:

>Is there a particular reason why you are continuing to update it as opposed
>to recommending people switch to an alternative distribution such as
>Temurin?

I don’t know what Temurin even is.

While I do recommend that people switch to default-jdk, and in fact
we have been needing to use at least 11 in development for a while
because Maven plugins from Central didn’t work with 8 for some time
even when intended to, some customers still run prod on 8, so we
need it for testing. (Or, at least, used to; I’m currently not in
a Java project at work.) I also have been supplying a customer with
openjdk-8 as jessie backport before it was in backports itself, then
ELTS. (The mentioned customer is also no longer in a situation to
receive/need these, but this gives historical context.)

I just did not cease updating this.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/

/⁀\ The UTF-8 Ribbon
╲ ╱ Campaign against      Mit dem tarent-Newsletter nichts mehr verpassen:
 ╳  HTML eMail! Also,     https://www.tarent.de/newsletter
╱ ╲ header encryption!