Re: Selecting a javac which supports at least Java5

Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> I fail to see the reason why the results should be the same.

Because otherwise we will get interesting FTBFS bugs at random times, that
someone will have to fix.

> Using /usr/bin/javac might as well lead to the usage of different Java
> compilers

Which is why we don't use it.

> The same goes for gcc. How is this case different?

We don't carry lots of different implementations of gcc, at most there are a
few different minor versions, and even those are limited:

~$ apt-cache show build-essential | grep Depends
Depends: libc6-dev | libc-dev, gcc (>= 4:4.1.1), g++ (>= 4:4.1.1), make,
dpkg-dev (>= 1.13.5)

>> I agree with Marcus that its much
>> better to have one explicit Build-Dependency than a large collection and
>> slightly different results.
>
> This means setting up tighter constraints (dependencies) than
> neccessary. In my opinion that's bad style.

No, it's very good style because we are talking about Build-Depends, not
Depends.

> Besides it makes migrations a little harder.

It doesn't affect end-user systems at all.

Marcus