Re: WTF: All those eclipse packages (and som gcj questions)

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 01:26:07PM +0100, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > Ok, got that installed.

> > > Hmm, so when running eclipse with gcj it automatically uses ecj-gcj when
> > > the eclipse-ecj-gcj package is installed?
> > >
> > > I just want to be sure I get this right.
> >
> > Sorry, I got this wrong. For ECJ from inside eclipse you need
> > eclipse-jdt-gcj
>
> I installed everything with eclipse in it anyway...
>
> Anyway, somethings not working here as expected. Having
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java/gcj is _much_ slower (in startup) than using
> SUN's JDK. And I can't use Java 1.5 features such as template-classes.
>
> Also it seems that java-gcj VM doesn't load jar files from
> /usr/share/java. I get a class not found exception for the javahl
> library on startup:
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.tigris.subversion.javahl.SVNClient not found in gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:/usr/lib/eclipse/startup.jar], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
>
> The difference in startup is 1minute (with gcj), 40 seconds(with vm=sun,
> java=java-gcj) and 30 seconds(with vm=sun and java=sun)
>
> Any thoughts about this?

We have a bug in /usr/bin/eclipse up to eclipse 3.1.1-6. -7 will fix
this. The problem is that we use the wrong way to lookup the native jars
in GCJ. We use the old way of searching for C++ ABI jars first. We should use
the new way to look for BC ABI jars first as all native jars are
compiled with BC ABI. To achieve this please add

  -Dgnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.library_control=never \

when /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse gets started. This should make startup
much faster as it needs much fewer file system lookups.

Cheers,
Michael