[Etch] Re: fbiterm and Japanese (and French...)

2 years and 4 months later...

My original problem was X configuration on my PowerBook G4 (Titanium). The impossibility to use X led me to consider the use of various unicode supporting terminals as well as a Japanese input system plus the French input (with dead keys) on that Japan 106 Apple keyboard.

I tried Etch last night and it was simply a breeze to install and configure. I have it running, with the Japanese input, in an English locale.

Now the problem is setting the French input on that keyboard. Since it is an Apple Japanese keyboard, it comes with keys that are not found on PC keyboards. Also, I'd like to be able to use the keyboard as close as I used to when on the Mac side: Command instead of Control, Alt as a dead key and used also in Japanese input (for ex to type "…") etc...

Is there a relatively easy to understand how all that works and how to fix it the way I want it ?

Jean-Christophe Helary