Re: Making my potato japanese capable =D

Hi,

From: Jakub Turski <yacoob@supersonic.plukwa.net>
Subject: Re: Making my potato japanese capable =D
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 18:47:10 +0200

>  I  managed  to get it all working: using kon, jvim-canna and canna I am
> now able to input hiragana and convert it to katakana or kanji. The ano-
> ther  problem  that  arouse,  is  --  jvim  doesn't  use  any additional
> programs, to communicate w/ server. The command for  ->kanji  conversion
> is ctrl-space, but I wonder if there are another ones available (i.e., a
> key for instant ->katakana conversion, or so...). I also wonder if I can
> make jvim use kinput2-canna while in X... it doesn't seem to use it, and
> I cannot test kinput2 -- krxvt doesn't let me input Japanese in the com-
> mand  line  (or  is there an option for it?), and other 'Japanese aware'
> progs I have are xjdic and kdrill -- useless in this situation...

To input katakana, try ctrl-n in the canna mode (ctrl-space).

I also tried jvim-canna in krxvt.  It works well with kinput2.
You have to set up your environment (.Xresources) to input with
kinput2.  Invoke user-ja-conf to semi-automatically set up your
environment.  (You installed user-ja package, didn't you?)

> > I am a developer of user-ja package.  Sorry not to prepare an
> > extensive document in English.  I decided not to prepare it because
> > I would not be able to maintain such a document...  (Well, if many
> > people want English document, I will prepare it.)
>
>  Count me in :) At least, a short info or translation of questions...

I see.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/