Re: Making my potato japanese capable =D

At Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:20:22 +0200,
Jakub Turski <yacoob@supersonic.plukwa.net> wrote:

> >  freewnn-kserver is a conversion server for Japanese text input.  You need
> > a frontend in order to use that server.  On X11, use "kinput2-wnn".
>
>  Wait  a sec, this server is doing kana->kanji conversion, right? I skim
> read the linux-nihongo doc (I'm quite short on time :(  )  and  I  found
> out,  that jvim should manage without help of any program, it can commu­
> nicate directly with the server. And it works fine: ctrl-space  puts  me
> into  hiragana mode, but when I press space to do the conversion, it fa­
> ils, writting something on the bottom (hey, did I  said  I'm  _learning_
> japanese? I can't quite understand it, but it has negation (-masen) so I
> think it has problems communicating with the server... why?). I tried to
> change  access  rights to the socket in /tmp, but even if I stated rwxr­
> wxrwx it failed again...
>
>  Two important things:
>   1/  I'm  rather  using  a  console...  X11  is a last resort, slow and
> unfriendly (for me, that is :) Kon + jvim works nice... but the  problem
> is as above.

jvim uses canna, which is another conversion server.
do you install canna package?

~# apt-get install canna

hiragana mode is a feature of libcanna1g.

~$ ldd /usr/bin/jvim | grep canna
    libcanna.so.1 => /usr/lib/libcanna.so.1 (0x400f8000)

jvim <- kana input -> libcanna <-- tcp(canna protocol)
                                 ---> canna server (kana-to-kanji conversion)

So, you can input hiragana without canna server. If you want to convert
kana to kanji, then you need to install the canna server (canna package).

If you have canna install at another computer, you can set the server
to CANNAHOST environment variable. If CANNAHOST is undefined, then libcanna
assumes that CANNAHOST is localhost.