Re: Invisable Grub

Op 13-10-11 00:53, Shane Chrisp schreef:
> On 13/10/11 04:03, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've installed Debian Squeeze on a new Supermicro server with X8DTU-F
>> mainboard. But Grub2 gives just a black screen. Only when I press the
>> arrow down key on the right moment and I wait a bit, I see Grub.
>>
>> Somebody an idea what I could do to see Grub just the normal way?
>>
>> With regards,
>> Paul.
>>
>> This mainboard:
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTU-F.cfm
>> This VGA controller:
>> Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)
>>
> We run a number of Supermicro servers with those boards in them with
> Squeeze and have not had the issue
> your describing and we have not changed grubs default install settings.

Strange. This is the second board I have of this type with an invisable
grub. The problem was direct after installing.

With the first board I had some unreproduceable VGA problems so I
returned it. After the boot logo what was always shown correct, the
screen stayed sometimes blank. Even in the bios.

> Does the board have IPMI installed?

Yes, IPIMI is by default on the board.

> If so are the redirection settings
> set correctly? Not that I can think of any
> reason that it would affect grub from displaying.

Hmmm, good idea. I've tried to disable "redirection after bios post" and
to disable the complete remote access in the bios. But no success.

After enabling it both, I've used the IPMI "SOL activate" command to see
the booting process. It starts well, but after "BMC responding" and
sometimes "Checking NVRAM.." I don't see anything anymore. So no Grub
there too.

With reagards,
Paul.

AMIBIOS(C)2008 American Megatrends, Inc.

Supermicro X8DTU/X8DTU-F BIOS Date: 08/27/11 Rev: 2.1a

CPU : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5645  @ 2.40GHz

 Speed : 2.40 GHz
        �

Press DEL to run Setup (F4 on Remote Keyboard)

Press F12 if you want to boot from the network

Press F11 for BBS POPUP  (F3 on Remote Keyboard)

The QPI Frequency :5.866GT

The IMC is operating with DDR3 1333 Mhz

Memory Type :RDIMM(ECC mode)
        �
Initializing USB Controllers .. Done.
        �

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl