RE: Linksys SLM224 or 2024

-----Original Message-----
From: Seth Mattinen [mailto:sethm@rollernet.us]
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:33 AM
To: debian-isp@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Linksys SLM224 or 2024

>Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Leonardo Boselli wrote:
>>> I have a problem with both these switches:
>>> if i try to connect to web management whith firefox, either from
linux or
>>> windowsXP, i do not go further than authentication, then having the
>>> background, then nothing ...
>>> same with konqueror or opera.
>>> I thing there is some problem in js interpretation. has some one
succeeded
>>> in managing such switches fron non MS browsers ?
>>
>> This switch admin web interface is just so bad, it's just a joke.
Many
>> people complained about the bad web interface compatibility.
>>
>> In fact, it's so buggy and wrongly coded, that it only works with
IE6,
>> not even with IE7 and IE8. Worth: linksys does not seem to care about
>> the issue, according to the forum.
>>
>> Boycott the product, send it back to your reseller, and get a real
>> switch from other brands...
>>

> Don't get a Cisco Catalyst Express, though. I've been really happy
with
> HP's ProCurve switches as a substitute for Cisco in many cases and
> they're less expensive.
>
> Seth

Not the least bit surprising. I have a Netgear FS728TS where the web
interface only worked in IE6 for the longest time, until a firmware
updated added Firefox support.

That was for home use though - there is a lot of decent Cisco gear on
eBay if that's your thing. Personally I've found HP's lower-end ProCurve
switches very braindead in terms of features and administration.

Cheers

---
Ross Halliday
Network Operations