Re: Which Spam Block List to use for a network?

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:56:02AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > You want to block spam or viruses, this is OK but you are on the
> > wrong way.
>
> no, it's absolutely the right way.  a large percentage of spam and
> almost all viruses come direct from dynamic IP addresses.

I repeat for the last time: the fact that your block is effective
to your problem does not metter that you are on the rigth way.

You are arbitrarily dividing the IP address space in two: those
that can originate SMTP and those that can't.

As far I know SMTP works because thare are RFCs at which the
community agree. You can happily do whatever you want outside the
RFCs, just do not pretend to be "absolutely the right way".

No RFC exists that define what a dynamic IP address is, nor that
those addresses are to be treated differently by an SMTP server.
After all, how long should a lease last to be considered static?
One year? One week? Hours? You are ignoring this problem leaving
to the ISP the burden to declare what is "dynamic".

Please correct me if I'm wrong; I'm searching for RFCs which
propose effective ways to block spam and viruses.

And please, do not confuse your convenience with "absolutely the
right way".

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy