Re: You can start saving now

Pascal Hakim wrote:

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 10:09:48PM +0200, Richard Zuidhof wrote:

Somebody please make this list member-only. I am sick of the spam I receive
through this list, it is my main source of spam.

My take on this is that spam is both a client and a server issue. If you're not running a spam filter on the client, then I would strongly advise you start doing that. Personally, I'm quite happy with Spambayes. Most of the spam from mailing lists goes directly to my spam folder, so I never have to deal with it.

Making lists member-only makes it harder for people to participate. Most
people who get a "Your message has been denied, subscribe to the
whitelist here"-type of message will not bother posting again rather
than subscribe on the whitelist.

Yes, that is a very good argument.

If people really want to turn this list to subscribers only, please
create a bug against lists.debian.org, and get people to post a message
for or against it.

I don't know if this is already implemented, but one thing that will limit spam is for the web archive to mask email addresses. I noticed a sharp increase in spam to one of my email addresses after posting to this list.
Googling showed my email address in the list archive.

Rhesa Rozendaal