System Hardware Tracking

Well it's finally hit the point where we have a few machines where we have
no idea what's in them.  As an ISP with several hundred machines, it's
become quite the challenge to remember all of the hardware.

Has anyone made/found/dreamed of a script that can be run on each machine
to keep track of the hardware in that machine.  I'm more than happy to
write one using perl/mysql, but figured I would throw this out to the list
and see if someone has found/written something they use.

Oh, and for all of those saying, write it down as your build the machine.
I wish that would work, we just have too many people dealing with these
things and when a problem comes up, our concern is to fix the problem
ASAP, not count our hardware.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Chris G.