Re: Antivirus setup?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Lim" <maillist@jasonlim.com>
To: "Kirk Ismay" <captain@netidea.com>
Cc: <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: Antivirus setup?

> > There is a free version of Trend Micro's virus scanner at:
> > ftp://ftp.antivirus.com/products/freetools/
> >
> > You can download the latest pattern file and scan engine library for it
> from
> > their web site. I was able to use it to build trophie & virge found
> here:
> >
> > http://www.vanja.com/tools/
> >
> > Virge integrates with procmail to scan messages during mail delivery,
> though
> > I haven't actually deployed this yet. (Just started playing with it
> > yesterday) Trophie on its own will detect klez, hybris, etc even in mime
> > encoded files.
> >

> Must be careful... "free" for "personal use"? That would not include a
> school, or even a non-profit organization. So it might work if you use it
> at home on your personal computer, but it would be risky and, well,
> illegal, to use it anywhere else.
>
> Too bad.. :-/

Hmm, the only license I see for this came from filescanlinux.tar/license.txt
looks like it permits both commercial and educational use, *and* it explitly
allows both businesses and educational institutions to distribute the
software internally:

1.  LICENSE GRANT. Upon your acceptance of this Agreement, Trend Micro
Incorporated ("Trend") grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable right to
reproduce and use the SOFTWARE in executable object code form only on
computers.

This license to use the SOFTWARE is conditioned upon your compliance with
the
terms of this Agreement. You agree you will only copy the SOFTWARE into any
machine-readable or printed form as necessary to use it in accordance with
this
license or for backup purposes in support of your use of the SOFTWARE. You
may
not modify or distribute the SOFTWARE (except if you are a business or
educational institution, you may distribute the SOFTWARE internally with a
copy
of this Agreement at no charge for your business'/educational institution's
internal use).  This license is effective until terminated. You may
terminate it
at any time by destroying the SOFTWARE together with all copies of the
SOFTWARE.

Also, TREND has the option to terminate this Agreement if you fail to comply
with any term or condition of this Agreement. You agree upon such
termination to
destroy the SOFTWARE together with all copies of the SOFTWARE.

Trophie & Virge are happily GPL licensed.

Sincerely,
--
Kirk Ismay
System Administrator