Re: [Fwd: Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?]

> On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 10:29:41AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Have you sent an email to the administrators of spamcop informing them
> > of the sizes of the ISPs in question?
>
> why the hell should I, or anyone else, have to go out of my way to
> inform some third party how large the ISP i work for is?  or how much
> mail volume passes through the mail server.  even ignoring the fact that
> that could be commercial in-confidence information, isn't the act of
> demanding that just as bad as "reply with REMOVE to unsubscribe"?

Well, what happens when you are listed in OTHER RBLs then? In those cases,
you would have an even more interesting time. Let us see:

>From the BLARS RBL (http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html):
-------------------------------
If you would like a site be added or removed from BlarsBL, you may hire
Blars at his normal consulting rates (currently $250/hour, 2 hour minimum,
$1000 deposit due in advance for non-established customers) to investigate
your evidence about the site. If it is found that the entry was a mistake,
no charge will be made and the entire deposit will be refunded. Send Blars
email from a non-listed account to verify current rates and arrange
payment.
-------------------------------

>From SPEWS RBL (http://www.spews.org/faq.html):
-------------------------------
Q41: How does one contact SPEWS?
A41: One does not. SPEWS does not receive email - it's just an automated
system and website, SPEWS and other blocklist issues can be discussed in
the public forums mentioned above... Note that posting messages in these
newsgroups & lists will not have any effect on SPEWS listings

Q42: My IP address/range is being listed by SPEWS but I'm not a spammer
and I just signed up for this/these address(s). What can I do to be
removed from the list?
A42: SPEWS is just an automated system, if spam or spam involvement
(hosting spammers, selling spamware) from your IP address/range ceases, it
will drop out of the list in time. If you wish, you can discuss SPEWS and
blocklist related issues in the public forums mentioned above. A SPEWS
editor or developer should see the postings and may double check the
listing if you feel it is a mistake, putting the text "SPEWS:" in the
subject can help. Will this get you removed from a SPEWS listing? No, not
if there are problems with your host. In fact, the first step you need to
take is to complain to your host about the listing, in almost all cases
they are the only people who can get an address/range out of the SPEWS
list. Do note that your addresses may be listed due to a larger spam
related problem with your host, in that case they will not be removed
until the problem is fixed.
-------------------------------

With those services, you have to *BEG* your way out of them. At least with
Spamcop, if you are listed, the admins are more than happy to work with
you... instead of hiding themselves.

> what happens next week when rival company spampig starts up, followed by
> spambusters inc, and a dozen more competitors over as many weeks.
> should i have to submit my details to all of them just because they want
> to run a business?

Um... no... because many RBLs say that they don't care how large an ISP is
(eg. Sprint), they will still block them. In Spamcop's case, it won't ban
large ISPs, because if you tell them a general figure for the mail volume,
it will take that into consideration.

> at least the other RBLs have technical criteria for being listed - i.e.
> running an open relay or proof of being a repeat spam source.  by
> contrast, even forged Received: headers can get you listed in spamcop's
> RBL.

Spamcop also has clearly defined policy.

Forged headers? I report spam to spamcop almost daily when I have the
time, and rarely does it have a problem. You are underestimating Spamcop's
ability... have you ever tried reporting spam to it, and looking at the
way it analyses items? Go sign up for a free reporting account, and you
will soon see what Spamcop can really do.