Re: Mass installation procedure for Debian?

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 06:44:21PM -0600, José A. Guzmán wrote:
> Chris Zubrzycki wrote:
>
> >very good idea, but I was wonering if anyone one the list has every
> >made a custom boot cd, with specific packages and a custom kernel
> >image/modules (xfs support, etc.)
>

> I've done some work on mass-installing debian for a lab here, what I've
> come up to now is a modified set of boot floppies, (which someday I'll
> 'port' into a CD :). Basically a rescue floppy with a custom kernel with
> all netcards that we have compiled in, and a modified root floppy (added

Why do people still compile the drivers in to a kernel? This makes your
kernel application specific and not re-usable for anyone else with a
different setup. Why not use initrd and a modular kernel?

> mkreiserfs and wget) with an init script that does the following:
>
> -prompt for IP or DHCP.
> -set up networking
> -invoke fdisk to partition manually or use 'auto partition'*.

I find cfdisk infinitely more "friendly". It might be a little bigger tho...

> -create swap and filesystem (using reiser here),  mount/swapon 'em.
[...]

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key