POP3 and read only

Running a POP3 mail server, we have a lot of modem dialups and also modem
dialups from remote links accessing email on a particular server.  Have this
problem whereas if somebody is checking their email and the connections
timeouts e.g.

Nov 15 13:08:35 belyando cucipop[14460]: Opened gomarg's mailbox
Nov 15 13:47:34 belyando cucipop[14460]: lost gomarg 203.37.165.22 2343, 11
(5964132), 11 (5964132)

it puts their mailbox into a read-only state and therefore mail already
received will not be deleted, you cannot delete mail using an imap
connection from say IMP web mail connection and also pine will not deleted
the mail, but ELM has no problems deleting the mail.  It eventually resets
back to a read-write state.  Where can this be changed?? I have searched
cucipop to find and have also remove cucipop and run qpopper with the same
problem.  Have the same config on several other mail servers and do no have
this hassle.  Any help appreciated.

Regards
Nathan