failed ppp setup

Hello

I need help with a partially configured ppp server.  I have dial in
working, but I can't get ppp to start.

Currently, I can login to the proposed ppp server (via the modem from
another linux computer using minicom) and get a shell.  However, when I
try to
login as the ppp user, I get a permission deinied error and ppp doesn't
start.  Here's the minicom log:

login as: ppp
password:
</etc/motd snipped>
No mail.
/etc/ppp/ppplogin: Permission denied

------------------------------- The facts
The computer/os info:

Debian Linux slink (2.1 with latest patches installed.)
i386 2.0.36 kernel
Viking serial modem connected to COM1 (ttyS0).

-----------------------------  The setup files and their contents

mgetty related
--------------------
---------------------

/etc/inittab: (relevant line only)
s0:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS0 -n1

/etc/mgetty/mgetty.config: (complete)
debug 4
fax-id
speed 38400

ppp related
--------------------
---------------------
/etc/ppp/options (complete file contents)
asyncmap 0
crtscts
lock
modem
debug
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx
lock
domain johndavis.net

/etc/passwd: (relevant line only)
ppp:x:1003:30:ppp,,,:/tmp:/etc/ppp/ppplogin

/etc/group: (relevant line only)
dip:x:30:ppp

/etc/shells:(relevant line only)
/etc/ppp/ppplogin

/etc# ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd
-rwsr-xr--   1 root     dip        105532 Jun 18  1998 /usr/sbin/pppd

/etc/ppp/ppplogin:
#!/bin/sh
mesg -n
stty -echo
exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach crtscts modem
#exec /usr/sbin/pppd passive crtscts modem

So that ppp is not started on boot, I have no_ppp_on_boot file in
/etc/ppp

John Davis