Re: 6to4 tunnel trouble

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 09:46:38PM +0000, Martin List-Petersen wrote:

> But not every provider has a 6to4 gateway and not every provider is
> ready for IPv6. On top of that, the different providers apply filtering
> on what they accept on their BGP session and what not. Some do this
> based on the whois databases, which means 2002::/16 and 192.88.99.0/24
> will be filtered out crossing from provider to another unless otherwise
> agreed.
>
> This is both positive and negative. It means that not anybody actually
> has a route to a 6to4 gateway (or the opposite path).
>
> A fault with kame is not unlikely. Sometimes things break in the
> internet. A lot more often in IPv6 than in IPv4, because a lot of the
> carriers and provider don't take is serious, yet. I have for example one
> transit provider, that doesn't give us an SLA on IPv6, because they
> themselfes only have one transit provider with IPv6. That has in the
> past caused things to break for longer than you'd expect (as in days).
>
> The successrate is higher with a tunnel, because there is a clear
> defined end-point to you.
>
> With 6to4 the traffic flows encapsulated to the first known 6to4 gateway
> in your path. The return-traffic flows to the first known 6to4 gateway
> in your destinations path. And they are nearly always different. So if
> one is broken, traffic doesn't flow.
>
> With a tunnel the traffic always originates and returns to your
> tunnelprovider over the same tunnel-server.

Martin ( and group ),

I may have quoted more than necessary, but I wanted to get the correct
context.

I have been interested in IPv6 for several years, but always seemed to
run into issues.

You recommended SixXS or HE.  I have ( a while ago ) been in touch with
HE ( and had an account with xs26, but they seem to have disappeared ).

However, to use that service ( the HE tunnel ), do I need to have an
IPv6-compatible ISP, or can I get there through an IPv4 tunnel?  I
suspect that my questions will be somewhat elementary, but it has been
quite a while since I last spent time working on this, and several of
the information and documentation sites seem to have gone away.

Thanks,
Brian